Friday, May 28, 2010

Master and Miss and Co.

In the world of craft, there is this comical and congenial principle called "idea stealing." Or rather, you think it is comical when you are doing the stealing, and you hope it is congenial when the party you are stealing from catches wind of the theft. If you are the party of the first part, or rather, the one with the original idea, it is neither comical nor congenial. You are flattered, perhaps, but there is a strong sense of injustice along with it. All axes would be buried if you were cited every time the stolen idea was praised, but you know you will not be. The party of the second part will take all the credit, and just bask in their stolen glory. My sister Mim and I are involved in constant capers of good-natured thievery. Good-natured, I tell you.

So, here's my point. I've stolen an idea. But, I deserve complete pardon, because, a. I will cite my source, and b. the party of the first part is also the party of the second part. In other words, I stole an idea from myself.

Using Goldie and Co. as inspiration, I created these portraits of my kids. See? Nothing criminal. Just a tribute, really.





Yoink! On-sale stretched canvas squares, a little paint, a little fabric, a little embroidery floss stitchery (pictures don't really showcase the 3-D element so much, but there's a nice sensorial appeal).

And actually, this is a double-whammie-self-theft, because, those kids' faces are borrowed from originals that I also created (with some help), (minus Welby, the one with horns). Here's the inspiration:





Ah... I forgive myself.

And I will forgive you too, if you happen to steal this idea.

EH?

4 comments:

  1. you never cease to amaze! Love love love! And if I had even the tiniest bit of the talent you have, I would put this project straight to the top of my to-do's. However, I do not and so I will hint at the top of my lungs for when you have my name for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look amazing and i love that welbs the no-necked giraffe has received such recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you stole an idea from a brillianty, yourself. I LLLLLOVE your wall portraits, honestly, you could go into the BIZ with those, as you could with most everything you do, but they are so cute on your walls, its a truth, they are gay, (in the old fashioned word only) and burst upon you like a wall arrangement of fresh flowers. :) love em

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see you finally joining the blogsters! my favorite parts are several, including the art, the inspirations for the art, and then the fact Welby is sitting on a stool for his portrait, and also the fact the boy is wearing a shining splash of something possibly delectable-- did you lick him off like a mama cat? no forced smiles heah, my deah. well, keep us posted . . . .

    ReplyDelete